Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pinewood Derby

WARNING! This is a big brag post. Nate took part in his first pinewood derby tonight. I need to show some remorse, having never been to a pinewood derby I was expecting a lame night of chaos. I was more than pleasantly surprised that it was organized, well ran and ended on time. :) To top it off, Nate took 2nd place out of 35 cars! It was very exciting. He started out winning his first 3 heats, took second in his fourth and then 1st again in his last two. Then it was onto the finals and six more races. He won the first three and then took second the last three. That tied him with a good friend of ours from the ward who did just the opposite of Nate, so now we were on a runoff. They ran two races so each car could use the same track. Nate won the first and Matthew the second! So it was still a tie! So they had them pick a number so they could pick a track to run one more race. One picked 3 the other 5 and the number was 4! So they had them pick again and this time Matthew won. They ran their race and just by the slightest hair Nate got beat, but it was so much fun! Proud mom moment, Nate clapped for Matthew and shook his hand afterwards. No tears, just fun. So now I'm a fan of the pinewood derby. Geoff and Grumpy (grandpa Adams) have been helping Nate with his car since Thanksgiving and we were lucky enough to have Grumpy join us for the big event.


Nate's face after winning three times in a row. I have to admit, I was shocked too.
Grumpy giving Nate a pep talk during the finals. :)
The Pleasant Hill 1st ward represented. These four boys all made the finals. Out of four wards and 35 cars I'd say that's pretty good!
Before the race off!

The winners! Nothing like a cookie on a stick can say congratulations on your big finish.

1 comment: